Monday, November 16, 2009

Beyond Catching Up With The Civil Rights Train

Our country thrives on the diversity of different religious views and beliefs. I agree that the state and religion should remain separate. However the ultimate goal should reach further than mere ”legalization” of gay marriages, just as we should not be satisfied just because we have the legal system that mandates equal protection and/or treatment in terms of race,
Many people say one thing and do another. Such as, there are those who say they believe that people are born gay. However their attitude towards the gay population tells a much different story. Even if gay marriage become the norm across this nation those people who oppose the gay lifestyle for whatever reason will not change in their heart of hearts. From time to time, not often, I encounter someone who does not like me just because of the color of my skin. I cannot change the way that they think or feel about me or others of my race. I worked a job once where there was a guy that let it be known that he did not like Black people. After working alone with this guy for about four months he said to me one day “you are pretty cool for a black guy but I am still prejudice.” I had no comment. What could I say to that?
Will legalizing same-sex marriages reduce the divorce rate in America? Can two men or two women do a better job of raising children? I know a lot of heterosexual and homosexual couples. Many of my heterosexual married couples have divorced and remarried and yet there are still plenty of them that are still happily married to their one and only spouse. Most of my homosexual couple friends have been in and out of relationships long before we met and have since moved on to other relationships. There are too some homosexual couples who have been together faithfully for years.
The ultimate goal should be to truly change the attitudes of the general public towards same-sex marriages.

No comments: